Arc2Earth Sync with Google Maps Engine

john.howe

06 May, 2014 05:26 PM

Hi,

I set up a Google maps engine map as a test on their free product:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z-9OR05O-VuM.kmWOL8gMiV5E

I tried to access the point data from ArcGIS without success. It appears to connect to the account just fine, however no maps or "Project Name" appear. I cannot find documentation or help on your support, public discussions nor knowledge base.

Why is this not working? How do I make it work? Is the product designed to do what I am attempting?

Thanks...!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by bFlood on 06 May, 2014 05:31 PM

A2E Sync can only work with full Google Maps Engine accounts (not the free or GME Pro accounts, both of which have no API access)

see the edition info here:
    http://www.google.com/enterprise/mapsearth/products/mapsengine.html

2. bFlood closed this discussion on 06 May, 2014 05:31 PM.

3. john.howe re-opened this discussion on 23 May, 2014 06:24 PM

4. 2 Posted by john.howe on 23 May, 2014 06:24 PM

Hi,

I'm working with Bob Bush, evaluating Arc2Earth. He bought a single seat year subscription. I'm looking for information and help. The information I'm looking for is based on what I read on an Arc2Earth capabilities web page.

First issue: Local imagery tile cache.

It is my understanding that Arc2Earth creates and maintains a local imagery cache. The literature also seemed to indicate that it is possible to download large areas. I cannot figure out how to pre-select a region for download. My goal is to copy the cache to a server for sharing among several workstations. Is this possible? Is the cache a standard ESRI format that can be accessed from any ArcGIS installation?

Second item: Google Maps Engine license.

The documentation indicates that with the Arc2Earth license, a Google Maps Engine license is included. Is this true? If so what version? I have created a Google Maps Engine project and successfully uploaded data into it with the Google Maps Engine Connector. I have been able to view the GME data with Arc2Earth in ArcGIS. I am finding that the storage capacity in GME is very limited. I don't understand If I'm running a trial version of GME or a licensed version provided through the Arc2Earth OEM. Please clarify, this is a critical point of confusion. Note: you should clarify up front that use of Arc2Earth may, and probably does require additional licensing from map data providers. I am finding references to this buried in the literature, however this is not clearly stated in the high-visibility marketing information. The requirements for use of Arc2Earth are unclear.

Third Item: New version of Arc2Earth corrupts parts of windows.
     (according to Bob Bush who installed the new version).

We will not install an unstable version of software, especially if it harms the system. I don't have detailed information on the problems caused and the solution, only that I was warned by Bob not to install the new version. We cannot beta test on production machines.

Thanks,
    John

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by bFlood on 23 May, 2014 06:53 PM

hi john

1) which imagery tiles are you talking about? the TileMaplayer Toolbar is the only one that would cache tiles (not Google or Bing tiles). This only creates a simple folder/file structure that can then be re-used by the toolbar if its offline. It is not compatible with ArcGIS Server

2) GME - no, a GME license is not included with A2E. Use of the Google Base data (streets and imagery) is included but not GME. You are likely using a trial account which has very low limits (10MB storage - not really usable with polygon data, I've let Google know about this)

3) I have not heard of this before. I don't see any support emails/forum posts from Bob about this, could you have him contact us so we can investigate?

cheers
    brian

6. 4 Posted by john.howe on 23 May, 2014 09:41 PM

Ok,

Let's focus on only one question. Why does the Export Tile Cache not include the Google imagery?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac